Monday, January 29, 2007

Exercise Can Be Fun? Read On....

How many of you enjoy going for a 3 mile jog in the afternoon? How about a 10 mile bike ride? To be honest with you, I am not a big fan of either. I would much rather play basketball or take my longboard skateboard on a ride around town.

The point is, for a lot of us when we think of exercise, we generally get turned off because we see exercise as one of these. Going running or bike riding. I am sure that there are a lot of people that enjoy these, but there are a lot of others that don’t. The key to sustaining an exercise program is to make it fun and enjoyable. If we don’t like doing something, chances are we won’t stick with it too long. A lot of personal trainers start off training clients by doing things that they think the client may enjoy without even getting any input. I spoke to a trainer a while back who told me her secret. Wanna know what it is? Ask. Simple, so simple. Just ask.

In this case I am asking you to ask yourself. What is it that you enjoy doing? Once you have answered this question you can begin to incorporate that into your exercise programs. My brother enjoys playing golf, so he could walk the course instead of take a cart. I enjoy riding my skateboard, so I ride around my neighborhood for 45 minutes or so. A friend of mine enjoys the outdoors so he goes hiking on the weekends.

If we simply take the things that we enjoy we can create a fun environment to get into shape. Think of the things that you like to do and use it to your advantage. Once you do, you will be well on your way.