Saturday, January 27, 2007

Gym Etiquette 101

How many of you have ever been witness to rudeness in the gym? Someone jumping on a machine you are using, slamming weights or talking on their cell phone. Gym etiquette usually gets neglected even though there is signage all over the room. Here are some tips to help keep you on a 250 lb. power lifter’s good side.

1.) Ask. If you would like to use a piece of equipment that someone else is using, simply ask how many sets they have left and wait your turn. If you are in a rush you can ask if you can work in. Meaning using the machine or weights when the other person is resting in between sets.

2.) Courtesy. If you see someone working out with headphones on, more than likely they do not like to be bothered while working out. Wait until they are done, and if you need to talk to them just wait until they are done with their set. Nothing is more annoying than having someone tap me on the shoulder when I have my music blaring and working on my heavy set of triceps pushdowns. This has often happened to me where I will have my eyes closed and are focused on the set at hand only to feel a tapping on my shoulder asking how many I have left. Just wait a minute, really that’s about how long it takes someone to crank out their set.

3.) Bring a towel or get a paper towel from the bathroom. Nothing is more disgusting than getting ready to use a bench only to find it slathered in sweat. I usually lay a towel on the bench I am using to avoid getting sweat all over it, as I know someone would not like to lay in that puddle. Practice your gym etiquette and wipe down your machine or bench after you are done.

4.) Leave your cell phone in your locker. Cell phones are great, just not in the gym. With the emergence of the blue tooth and other wireless cell phone accessories we never have to hold our cell phones to our ears anymore. I once worked in a gym where someone talked on the phone more than they worked out. I remember him coming in and talking to someone the whole time. It was extremely annoying and distracting. Are you really that important that you cannot be without your cell phone for a half hour?

5.) Don’t monopolize the equipment. Its ok to superset or do tri-sets, but do so when it is not too crowded. During peak hours (I.e. before work and after work) try not to hog the equipment. Remember others are trying to work out too. If you are doing a circuit and hogging a couple of machines they have to wait and work around you. If at all possible if you are planning to do a workout like that, try going later in the evening or when the gym is not too crowded.

6.) Don’t Slam your weights. This tip is twofold, it is a disturbance and a safety issue. If you cannot put the weight down properly maybe you should get a lighter weight. I cannot count how many times I have sat next to someone on a bench where they have just dropped the dumbbells on the ground causing the ground to shake and others to turn and see what the noise was. I have also had a couple of close calls where a dumbbell almost landed on my foot. Practice courtesy as well safety.

7.) If you use it - put it back where you found it. This has got to be one of the worst gym violations. It is extremely aggravating to go to the dumbbell rack looking for a set of weights and not being able to find them, either because someone took them across the room to use and never re-racked them or put them in the wrong place.

The gym should be a time of release, a time to get the blood flowing, a time to physically work out the stress from the day. It should not be a place that causes stress or arguments. Follow these 7 tips and I assure you that you will be well on your way to a healthier and happier you.