Monday, February 12, 2007

Healthy For Life

After writing this for a while now, I ran into someone who carries the same ideals that I have on weight loss and management. I was at lunch the other day and a friend of mine mentioned that she was back on her weight watchers program after she had put on a few extra pounds. I was interested in what she had to say because I noticed she was picking up just some veggies and fruit.

I asked her what her reason was behind it, as I normally ask of people who come to me and tell me that they are planning to lose x amount of pounds or get down to a certain size dress or pants.

What she said shook me, as it was what I long for people to say and the reason why I write this blog. She said she wanted to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight for life. She said "I don't want to make a temporary choice, I want to make a life choice."

I almost applauded, lol, but I just told her how right she was. Often times we lose sight of the big picture. We are too involved in how we look or what people will think of us, when really a healthy lifestyle is not only a choice to look better, but so we can live longer. So we can live longer and happier, so we can help prevent heart disease, so we can have more time with our children and grandchildren.

Her thoughts echoed the reason I do what I do. I work in the field of health education so that people will make a better choice, the choice to be healthy- for life.