Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Making Exercise Fun: Fun, Sun and the Super Bowl

The one thing I have a hard time hearing is how many people do not exercise because they just don't enjoy it. Exercise does not have to be something that you dread doing, it should be something that you look forward to and it should be something that you can incorporate into your life.

How do you do it? The key is to make it fun and enjoyable. Find what you enjoy doing and incorporate it into your daily activities. My Mother for example likes to watch TV, absolutely loves it, so I went out and got her a "Walking to Fitness" type of DVD. What she does now is in between commercials or when she feels like it, she will play the DVD and follow the walking exercises. It is also age appropriate, so the exercises are not too strenuous, but does give her a good workout.

The reason I am writing this post is because I found myself thinking about it on Super Bowl Sunday. I wanted to exercise, I wanted to watch the Super Bowl and I wanted to go to the beach. Well I was able to do all of it and was happy with the end result.

I watched the kickoff, went to the beach and surfed for an hour or so, then got out of the water and grabbed my body board and fins and jumped back in for another hour. Not only was it fun, not to mention getting a tan and my cardiovascular workout (from the paddling), but I also got home for the end of the 3rd quarter and was able to see the rest of the game.

This is the sort of thing that I am talking about. Find what you like to do and mix it into your day. You will find exercise can be a lot more enjoyable than you once thought. If you are having any problems coming up with anything, drop me a line and I will see if I can help. rvidad@gmail.com